If you’ve been feeling stressed lately, one of the best ways to get relief is to get a massage. According to the Mayo Clinic, not only does getting a massage relieve your stress, but you also get reduced pain, improved circulation, and even improved immune function.
Are you now wondering, “Where can I get a massage in Los Angeles near me?” If yes, then good for you! You’re well on your way to bidding stress goodbye.
However, if it’s going to be your first time getting a massage, you should know something: there are over eighty kinds of massage types. You may not know what to answer when you step into a massage spa in Santa Monica, CA, and get asked what kind of massage you want to get.
Well, we’d recommend that you get one of the most popular types of massage in the USA: the Swedish massage.
What is it, why is it so popular, and what benefits do you get out of it? Well, that’s what we’ll take up in this article. Let’s get to it, shall we?
To start with: what IS a Swedish massage?
Swedish massage is a massage that generally involves long, kneading strokes in combination with rhythmic tapping strokes and joint movement.
When you avail of this in any Santa Monica Blvd massage center, you can be sure that your therapist will use their hands, forearms, or elbows to massage you.
Traditionally, a Swedish massage means your whole body will get massaged. You’ll usually start on your stomach. When your therapist is done, you’ll be flipped over and the massage will resume.
If ever you have an area that you want to be targeted in particular, like your lower back or your neck, you can request your therapist to do so. You can also request pressure on you to be gentler or harder.
As with any massage, you’ll only be in your underwear while getting undergoing it. However, don’t worry about being exposed – the therapist will cover your body with a sheet, and adjust it as they work on your body. You will be covered most of the time.
One more thing to remember is that Swedish massages aren’t dry massages. The therapist will use an oil or lotion on you to allow them to do smooth, long strokes on your body. So if you have a preference for the scent, let your therapist know!
What makes a Swedish Massage different from others?
It’s in the technique. Swedish Massage uses these techniques to deliver an effective and relaxing massage.
What are these techniques, exactly? Here are the five:
The Effleurage technique refers to a technique for spreading oil. The therapist will use their forearms to apply long sweeping and gliding strokes to your body. These movements are done plenty of times to help you achieve relaxation.
The Petrissage technique refers to all movements during Swedish massage that involves kneading, rolling, and even squeezing strokes. When the therapist does this to you, you will have stimulated nerve endings, a release of toxins from your muscles, and even cell renewal! Amazing, right?
While it’s called vibration, there’s no tool that is necessary for this. It basically refers to shaking muscles. They can be rapid movements, but they can also be slow. The therapist will do this to release any tension you feel in your muscles.
Did the name make you feel like it was going to be hot? Well, you got that right! A therapist will usually rub their hands together to generate a bit of heat before working on your specific muscles. Using this technique will prepare the muscle being worked on for a deeper massage.
This technique is usually used at the end part of a massage. The therapist will use their hands to do rhythmic tapping, pounding, and patting on your body.
What are the benefits of a Swedish massage?
Getting a Swedish massage will give you plenty of benefits. We’ll divide them into physical benefits and mental and emotional benefits. Let’s take a look at both.
Here are the numerous physical benefits you’ll get after a Swedish massage:
- Any tight muscles you have will be loosened. You’ll also feel a nice stretch all over your body.
- You will get relief from cramps and muscle spasms. Any muscle fatigue you feel will also be lessened.
- You’ll have looser joints as well as an improved range of motion.
- You’ll actually feel stronger after getting a Swedish massage. After all, your muscles are more rested, right?
- You’ll have a calmer nervous system.
- You’ll experience better blood circulation.
- Expect to have firmer muscles and skin tone after this massage.
- You can get relief from symptoms of any of the following disorders: asthma, arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, chronic and acute pain syndromes, myofascial pain, headaches, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) dysfunction, and different athletic injuries
- You’ll also start to heal faster, whether from physical injury or an illness.
- You’ll sweat better and healthier.
Mental and emotional benefits
Here are the mental and emotional benefits you’ll experience after a Swedish massage:
- Since you are more physically relaxed, your mind will also feel more quiet.
- Your sleep will be better. You won’t only sleep longer but your sleep quality will also improve.
- As we mentioned above, you will get some relief from stress. But it’s not only from stress where you’ll get help. You’ll also get some help if ever you feel any depression, anxiety and irritation.
- After a Swedish massage, you’ll find yourself with a very improved ability to concentrate. Isn’t that amazing?
- Finally, you’ll find that you feel better about yourself. A great thing to feel, right?
Why is a Swedish massage popular?
So after all this, you might still be wondering why is Swedish massage popular. Well, if you think about it, there’s a simple answer, really.
Check out the benefits. It’s a lot, right?
Plus, the pressure adjustment part is also attractive for people who don’t want deep or strong massages.
Overall, it’s probably the perfect massage for anyone who needs to unwind and feel their stress leave their body.
Ready to get a Swedish massage near Santa Monica, CA?
Do you now want to schedule a Swedish massage for yourself? There’s no need to Google “massage shop near me”. Mend Me Massage Studio is here for you if you’re looking for a massage along Santa Monica Boulevard or a massage in West Los Angeles.
Come up to our studio and escape to a place of serenity and well-being. Here, you’ll be able to experience Swedish massage (as well as many others) and revitalize your weary spirit. We guarantee that our spa specialists will spoil you.
Plus, our holistic services, luxurious amenities, and a very peaceful ambiance will surely bring you to a leveled-up state of relaxation and improve your overall well-being.
Visit us at 10929 Santa Monica Boulevard, Los Angeles. You can call us at 424-293-0335 to book an appointment. We’re open every day from 10 AM to 10 PM.
We look forward to hearing from you, serving you, and giving you that peace and relaxation you deserve.